Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Operation: Finish Lucie's Room

"Hi Mommy! 

It's me, Lucie. The light of your life. The apple of your eye. 



Well, remember when we had that lovely conversation about all the wonderful plans you had for my bedroom? 

And then we laughed maniacally as we discussed how Pottery Barn would be pounding on our front door, begging to purchase your ingenius and earth-shattering ideas for their Spring 2013 Baby Nursery Decor line? And I continued to laugh maniacally at how large your left nostril was?

Well, I just can't wait to find out what you've done with the place! Let's take a look-see...



Oh dear...am I supposed to be impressedWhat the heck happened, Mom?!"

________________________________________________________________________________________

"Lucie, my dear, sweet daughter. I can assure you there is a very simple explanation for this. 

You see, as I began decorating your room, I suddenly got hungry. Then, I got thirsty. Then, you got hungry. Then, you got thirsty. Then, I was distracted by the television. Then, I was distracted by the need to shave my legs. Then, I wanted a piece of chocolate. Then, I was distracted by your father. Then, your father was distracted by my unshaven legs. Then, you were distracted by your father being distracted by my unshaven legs. Then, your father was distracted by you being distracted by him being distracted by my unshaven legs. 

Well, by that time, I only started opening your bedroom door when I was "cleaning" the rest of the house - essentially, using it as a secret storage space in which to throw all of the things in our home that I didn't know where else to put. Then I got distracted again. Then, I got lazy.

So, in order to find a cure for Mommy's procrastinatory ways, she is going to show all of her readers your room in its current, shameful state. That way, they can keep her accountable to the promises she made to you. It might be embarrassing, but at this point (three months in and no progress on the decorating homefront), it is more than necessary."

Here we go.

Yeah, I don't know either... 
Woops...


Shameful, isn't it?!

So, I have decided that I am going to do something about this. Lucie's room is going to be my project for the next week or so, and I'll likely need plenty of nagging to complete it. So feel free to pester me!

My specific goals in no particular order are:
  • Painting would be my #1 goal except we are not allowed to, as we are at the mercy of landlords. Quite sad...but I suppose it is one less thing for me to do.
  • Organize all of the junk and get rid of things that don't belong in her room (i.e. Christmas decorations...).
  • Find some sort of bookshelf (by thrifting, hopefully) - this kid already has a library full of books, thanks to friends and family! Hooray for literacy!
  • Figure out which clothes still fit her (my guess is, there are very few left...) and put them away.
  • Finish framing/hanging all wall art.
  • Finish her ceiling mobile.
  • Vacuum the carpet that I have forsaken since we moved in.
  • Find a way to thank our wonderful friends who gave (yes, GAVE) us their daughter's very recently outgrown crib, dresser, and changing table. Their generosity knows no bounds!
I've already started making the mobile for above her crib. See very early sneak preview below. I am using an old poetry book's pages as the basis for this creation...

I am actually not quite sure what this mobile will end up looking like - but my projects always tend to be a bit "organic" (in this instance, I believe "organic" is a kinder word for "odd" or "scatter-brained."). The folded flower tutorial can be found here, if interested!

I've also hung her A-Z Animal Alphabet Letters...small accomplishment...
Aren't these just adorable?! So colorful and creative! Each animal is doing something ''human-like," for example, wearing a piece of clothing, playing a game, drinking tea, etc. These cute 5x7 alphabet cards can be found here!

By the way, I love the fact that this card set uses lesser-known animals for certain letters. For example, "Quetzal" instead of a "Quail" for the "Q." What the heck is a Queztal, anyway?! Hello, Wikipedia! Here's the link. They're strikingly beautiful!

Quetzal's are found in wooded areas, especially in humid highlands. They subsist on a diet of...wait...

...what were we talking about, again? 

Oh ya, Lucie's unfinished room. My goodness! Distracted again! You have my permission to NAG until I finish this project. 

Happy Wednesday, friends and family! Be sure to stop by for Thrifting Thursday tomorrow!

P.S. "So, this guy walks into a bar with a Quetzal on his shoulder..." AH! See! HELP.









6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see what you do with her room! Keep up the good work. xoxo Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Shan! We'll see how long this takes me...haha!

      Delete
  2. I think organizing is like running - the hardest part is simply starting! And finishing. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that presents a problem then...because I only run if I'm being chased...so does that mean someone needs to threaten me in some sort of way in order for me to finish??? I'm afraid it might be the truth... haha! :)

      Delete
    2. Whaaaaa! Hi honey...so..here's a little motherly advice that has served me thru the years..remember that "procrastination is the thief of good intentions" and Scarlett OHaras words of wisdom..."tomorrows another day"...procrastinating and being distracted is just called "life"..it does happen either way and besides....just finish Lucies room by the time shes a freshman in college and if not..no worries becuz she won't even remember what a Quetzal is nor will she care..I luv u, your creativeness and most importantly..your sense of humor...(as Gam would say)...its good for the soul....I Love Lucie and you..mom

      Delete
    3. Your blog is the best thing since....sliced bread. <3

      Delete