Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thrifting Thursday: California Pottery Double-Sided Serving Dish

Thrifting Treasure: Vintage California Pottery Double-Sided Serving Dish in Yellow

Found: New Unto Others Thrift Shop on Vermont Avenue in Glendora (such a cool place! Read more about their unique mission here.)

Cost: $11.00 (typically, house ware items at thrift shops are not this expensive...however, someone over there clearly knew this was worth a bit more than the other junky trinkets)

Reason Bought: It's cute, of course!


Fun Discovery: Well, I actually knew what I had discovered before I even left the shop (thanks to my mother). Growing up, there were a few California Pottery pieces in my home - much more rare/valuable than this particular dish - that had belonged to my grandfather. My mom would show me the pieces, colors, and markings - so that I would always know what to look for, as many people donate these items without knowing what they are. 


See "Made in USA" & "No. 101" etched into the bottom of dish. California pottery is always stamped.
Case in point!


So...with treasure in hand and squalling baby in tow (she was so over being in the stroller!), I knew I needed to act fast. In thirty seconds flat, I snatched up the dish, ran to the counter, threw some money at the poor fellow and dashed out of the store to get Lucie home.


I am feeling extremely triumphant right now! I know that this dish would be so great for  serving snacks at swanky dinner parties...

...at someone else's house. 

I am a realistic mother of a baby now. I will not be hosting a swanky dinner party anytime soon. 

Anyone else find any treasures this week?

Happy Thrifting!


No comments:

Post a Comment