Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thrifting Thursday: Libbey Juice Glasses

Welcome to my first Thrifting Thursday!

The thrill of the thrifting "treasure hunt" was instilled in me as a young girl by my deal-seeking, antique-loving, classically sentimental mother. "Thrifting" had always been a fun hobby, but it became functional when John and I said "I do."  


When we got married, I didn't have a job. I had relocated from San Diego to Glendora right as the economy tanked, and joined the millions of other people searching for steady employment and relative financial security. During that time, I remember sitting in our empty apartment, trying to recharge my job-hunting batteries through creative inspiration. But, the white walls just weren't helping. So, as I pounded the pavement, I simultaneously learned to satisfy my decorating sweet-tooth on our meager newlyweds' budget. Hellooo thrifting


Each Thursday, I will post about one of my excellent finds! The majority have been treasure-hunted from our local Goodwill or garage sales in the area. I hope this will inspire you to get creative, think outside of the "shopping" box, and most importantly, save some money! 


So without further ado...Thrifting Thursday begins!












Thrifting Treasure(s): Six unique, stackable juice glasses. Only five pictured because I accidentally broke one! Sad day...

Found: Goodwill Glendora on Route 66 and Lone Hill

Cost: $6.00 ($1.00/glass)

Reason Bought: They matched our kitchen perfectly, and looked similar to pretend vintage glasses I had wanted from Anthropologie...just WAY cheaper!


Notice the small script "L" on the pebbled base of the glass!
Fun Discovery: Authentically vintage! Stamped with Libbey Glass' signature script "L," these glasses feature a floral and plant design with a pebbled base. They were produced as part of Libbey's "Country Garden" collection, circa 1970's. Through a little research, I found that the light blue and light pink sets are more difficult to come by than the common amber color. They still aren't worth much, but making money is not the reason I chose them!


Stackable! But don't stack too hard...that is why I now only have five. Oops!

















Don't you just love these little beauties?! They make such a pretty addition to our kitchen; and, at $1.00 a piece, even my husband couldn't protest their girly "cuteness." I mean, he did...but if there is no financial reason to make me take something back - it's "cuteness" trumps all! :) John, I can see you rolling your eyes right now...

Thanks for joining me on my first Thrifting Thursday! Please comment if you happen to find any fun treasures or bargain beauties this week - I'd love to hear about them! :)

Happy Thrifting!






2 comments:

  1. You are inspiring me to check out my local thrift stores!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I can't wait to hear about what you find! :)

      Delete