Thursday, March 22, 2012

What's in a Middle Name?

Hello long-lost friends!

I am so sorry that I haven't posted in a while. I caught a bad cold over the weekend...and the last thing I wanted to do was be near a computer. So rather than post, I sat on the couch (didn't have much choice because of the torrential downpour outside!), watched a movie with John and my sister, sanitized my entire house in an attempt to keep my loved ones from getting sick, and ate lots of food...lots... 

So, this is Thrifting Thursday, right? Right. But, this week is special - so I'll be adding Thrifting Thursday's post tomorrow (Friday).

So - to before I begin, here are the things I owe you:
  • A Thrifting Thursday post (coming tomorrow)
  • Lucie's 3 month photos (which I have yet to take...honesty - even through shame, is the best policy)
  • Photos of my progress on Lucie's room (Progress? Oh ya - that's that thing that happens when you actually do something about the things you want to change...I haven't yet. I told you you'd have to nag...)

Alright, as I said, this week is special. I have an important post to share with you today regarding Lucie's middle name (Zella) and the incredible woman who inspired our choice: John's 88-year old maternal grandmother - or as she is more affectionately known to us, Nana

John and I are house-sitting with Nana this week while his parents on are on a WELL deserved vacation to Kauai (where John's uncle lives...the lucky dog). It has been a wonderful opportunity for our little Sack O' Sweet Potatoes to spend some quality time with her Great-Nana...and I've had a fabulous time documenting all of the festivities with my new iPhone!*

*OH MY WORD. I could write an entire post about how much I love this silly invention, but I'll spare you. I must say though, that my husband bought it for me AGAINST my stubborn wishes - and I was terrified of it for the first 24 hours. It was a full 18 hours before I even took it out of the box. I just sat, scowling at it - meditating on how much I hate change and new technology. Call me a sell-out...but, I AM A BELIEVER! This non-sensical thing is absolutely amazing.  

This woman, bless her heart, is not one to sit and lazily watch the world go by. She is a go-getter...involved in more clubs and societies and organizations than I can keep track of. She is generous to a fault... answering every "Oh Nana, you shouldn't have done that for us" with an "Oh, it's fine! I sold my car!" FYI - she sold her old car sometime in the late 90's... 

She's the most technologically saavy octogenarian you'll ever meet - easily navigating between her cell phone, Kindle E-reader, computer, and complex photo scanner/printer (which I still don't know how to use...she has to explain it to me every time) with ease. She's got gumption (like my maternal grandmother "Gam!") - an adventurous soul unhindered by the restrictions that an 88-year old body might impose. She doesn't let the ailments on this side of heaven stop her from trying...I just love that. She is one of those individuals who should be listened to...as almost nine decades on this earth have yielded a deep pool of knowledge and wisdom. Most importantly, Nana is a woman of strength and of faith...her beautiful spirit and gracious heart are overwhelmingly apparent to all who meet her. Is it obvious yet? I just love Nana.

When I came on the scene...God bless that woman - she welcomed me with wide open arms. 
Nana and I quickly bonded over our love for history, Antiques Roadshow, and other such fun things (i.e. our new shared obsession, PBS' Downton Abbey!). And when the time came, she generously (understatement) gave John her grandmother's diamond for my engagement ring...w-o-w. Talk about overwhelmed. Talk about humbled.

I am so thankful for Nana - and that she has "adopted" me as a granddaughter. She makes the sting of missing my own grandparents a little less painful. But, I cherish the memories with them and treasure the photos that stand in place for times when I was too young to remember. Looking at these sweet photos, I know this will be the same for Lucie. She loves her Great-Nana!

I love this lady very much and am honored that my daughter shares a piece of her beautiful name, Zella.

So...what's in a middle name? When you're named after Zella Cramer...a whole heck-of-a-lot! :)

If you want a good cry (and laugh), check out the clip below. We didn't find Lucie's gender until she was born, so it was such an overwhelming moment to announce WHAT she was (we'd been calling her "it" the entire pregnancy...poor thing). The clip is of John telling Nana Lucie's full name. He taped it for me since I was laying back in the hospital bed - half-dead from labor, but happier than I could have ever dreamed of with my new baby. Ah! It gets me every time... 




We love you, Nana! Thank you for letting us invade your space this week! :)











2 comments:

  1. So sweet; so lucky to have such warm and inviting in-laws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is such a precious gem! And just as sweet as Nana's reaction is the emotion in John's voice talking about his baby girl. :)

    ReplyDelete